Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Cutthroat Lake Report: Scouting Mission

I wrested some time out of my schedule on Thursday to stop by Cutthroat Lake for a look. It was my first time there this season. When I arrived the lake was calm, and I saw one big rise along the drop off. My best fishing here has been when the big cutts are rising to Callibaetis along the drop off, or hanging in the shallows swirling on anything that moves. Those times are rare, or require perfect timing to hit, but when you do hit it right the fishing is spectacular--and did I mention these are big cutts?

I had the float tube in the back of the pickup, but not enough time to use it. And a breeze picked up, and I saw no more rises. So I cast and stripped the bead head leech. I got one follow by a male--right up to my feet where I had a good look at him--but when I dangled the fly in front of his nose as he lazily swam away he ignored it.

The wind soon picked up, and a rainstorm blew through. I waited it out in the truck. After it passed the lake was calm, but still quiet. I had time for a few more fruitless casts before I had to leave.

But I know this now: they're still in there.

8 comments:

  1. The scouting reports are getting as exciting as the catching. Looks like another gem of a lake. Great cloud and sky shots,as usual. Love the shot from inside the cab. Looking forward to more from Cutthroat Lake.Ever read any William Tapply? Cutthroat Lake could be the title of one of his Brady Coyne mysteries. Actually,the whole post could be a set up for the plot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes just a taste is more exciting than the whole meal. I have not read his mysteries (I used to read his Dad's stuff.) Mystery not my cup of tea usually--I'd make an exception for Sherlock Holmes, including the new Sherlock, and Inspector Clouseau.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great lake.

    Sounds like a return trip is in order :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just hate that "right up to your feet" trick. All you're thinking is just give me 2 more feet and he'll take it. Well, there's always next time.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's clear I'm not the only one who has had that happen. Yep, I'll get him one day.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy scouting as much as fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, though after a few years of scouting when I was new here I keep going back to my favorites.

      Delete