Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Trout Lake Report: Change of Season

Everything at the lake proclaims it: the season is rapidly approaching its end. I went out today because now is the time when I need to get there as much as I can. My season will be shortened by a trip to Indiana to be there for the birth of my daughter's second baby, my fifth grandchild. I leave this Wednesday and may get back in time to make one last trip to the lake on the last day of the season. Or this may be it.

It was a Saturday, so there were other fishermen out on the water. And it was the last Saturday of deer season, so there were hunters all around, many driving slowly up and down the road scoping the mountainsides and ridgetops.


I started out in the channel. I could have started with a muddler, as usual. But I have some stimulators that have never been used. I like to tie them, especially when I don't have a lot of time for stacking deer hair. So I tied one on and worked my way down the shoreline that gave up those big Browns on my last trip.


I got another one. I may have missed two more. I had two other takes but came up empty. Why, I don't know. Browns are the last to tell me what they're thinking.


I worked all the way down past the willows, turned around and headed back.


For the return trip I tied on a little black bead head micro leech for a liesurely troll. I've had it for a long time, the sole survivor of a multi-colored batch I tied up at least three years ago. It did its job yet again.


Back in the channel I tied on a fresh stimulator and started down the shoreline again. It was relaxing and enjoyable to maintain that rhythm of casting and stripping that by now is second nature. By this time in the season you have the touch, and can consistently drop the fly mere inches from the bank. But I finally had to admit it. There was nobody home this time.


I went with the bead head leech again for the troll back. I got one bump. I kicked in. While packing up I heard one shot from over in the next valley, the only one I heard all day. I hit the road, but not for the last time. As I have all summer, I'll leave everything in the truck for a quick departure tomorrow or the next day. I hope to make the most of the time I have left.


On the way down off the flats I saw a big congregation of wild turkeys. They too, are proclaiming it: the season is almost gone. Time to get ready for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment