Pages

Monday, June 29, 2015

Dude, Check This Out: Son Volt

The music is back.

In their last issue This Is Fly featured Wrinkle Neck Mules in their mixtape. That got me dipping into alternate country again. Lots of good stuff out there. Gives me flashbacks to my youth when the early Eagles, Pure Prairie League, and Poco were part of the soundtrack of my life.

It was good to rediscover Son Volt.


They've explored various instrumentations over the years, and moved up and down along the rock/country and acoustic/electric spectrums. (They played Lollapalooza in 2007.) For my money, the honky tonk sound of their latest album--the 2013 release titled Honky Tonk--is Son Volt at their best. And the 2007 song Highways and Cigarettes stands as their masterpiece.

It takes me back to all those long roads I've been down.




No comments:

Post a Comment