Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

The Eagle Tree

The ice has broken up in the main channel and most of the river is accessible again. I went out behind our house this afternoon to take a closer look.


The river level looks lower than before the freeze-up, and I think I might be able to slip in right here and find enough gravelly bottom to move around some. Oh hey, look at the eagle tree.


That's a lot of eagles. I've seen four or five at a time from our kitchen window before this, both adults and juveniles, so I figured it was an eagle family. But it looks like all the in-laws are here, too.


There are eight in the tree, but I counted at the same time three more in trees downstream, and two more upstream.


I believe that's the most Balds I've ever seen at one time, anywhere. Here's how I look at it: seems like there must be enough fish in the river right now to support them all, or they wouldn't be here.

I'll be testing that theory just as soon as I can grab some time to wander down behind the house, try out that new access point, and cast a line under the Eagle Tree.

2 comments:

  1. From the looks of that ice, you've been pretty cold there.
    Good to see the thaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm betting that water is going to be might chilly.

    ReplyDelete