Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

On Another Passing of Another Year

Click on photos for full size image.


A Short Testament

by Anne Porter

Whatever harm I may have done
In all my life in all your wide creation
If I cannot repair it
I beg you to repair it,


And then there are all the wounded
The poor the deaf the lonely and the old
Whom I have roughly dismissed
As if I were not one of them.
Where I have wronged them by it
And cannot make amends
I ask you
To comfort them to overflowing,

And where there are lives I may have withered around me,

Or lives of strangers far or near
That I've destroyed in blind complicity,
And if I cannot find them
Or have no way to serve them,

Remember them. I beg you to remember them

When winter is over

And all your unimaginable promises
Burst into song on death's bare branches.




"A Short Testament" by Anne Porter, from Living Things. © Zoland Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment