Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Dude, Check This Out: Led Zeppelin I

The birth of Zeppelin. Released January 12, 1969 in the States, in March in the UK. Number 29 on Rolling Stone's list of the Greatest Albums of all time. Inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2004.

For me, a watershed event. Nineteen years old, home from college on Spring Break. Restless, angry, looking for something, always looking. Picked it up on a whim at the local drugstore. Listened to it on my parents' big console stereo late at night in the living room, all alone, lying on the carpet with my head under the cabinet so I could hear it loud without turning it up.

Blew my little mind. What I had been waiting for my whole life. Set all my teen angst to crashing guitars and a driving beat. I crashed, burned, and rose up from the ashes. And was never the same.






Here they are in January of 1975 at the Chicago Arena. I was there, man.

3 comments:

  1. One of the few bands that I never saw in person and would actually pay todays exorbitant ticket prices for the opportunity. Classic.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. January 12, 1969 I was married, had one little, and was working 37 hours a day. Somehow I missed Zeppelin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I actually got married in August of 1969. So my life changed forever again for sure in a whole other way. I'd say Led Zeppelin helped me get through some of that, though.

      Delete