Click on photos for full size image.
I suppose if I had just set up camp at Trout Lake for a week of fishing the Drake hatch I wouldn't let a little thing like weather stop me. I'm not saying it has stopped me, but after this long, cold, windy, wet Spring there are certain weather conditions under which I'm more inclined now to stay home and wait for the good days.
For example, yesterday we had a drop in temperature of about ten degrees, and it blew like a son of a gun all day.A good day for fly tying. So I tied up a few of these, my MOL Drake. (MOL stands for "more or less." I could develop a whole line.)
I'm just being modest. I caught many fine trout on these during last year's hatch. They use a pale yellow dubbing for the body, ribbed with black krystal flash, and touched up with permanent marker. If I had a brown marker I would have used that, but all I have is black.I was ready to go scope out the lake for Drakes today after work and try them out. But rain moved in and the temps stayed cool all day.
So I went back to the tying desk instead. I'd been thinking about trying a yellow synthetic dubbing, of which I have a small sample, for the body. I also used an amber sparkle dubbing for the thorax.
Might make a difference under certain conditions. Or I just like having a choice.
Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want to miss any more of this Drake hatch than I have to. So tomorrow, when it's supposed to be a little warmer (but still rainy), I'll very likely make time to get on the water.
I've got plenty of flies now, so I can't use that as an excuse anymore.