Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Lake Lemon Report: Tops

I'm going to miss the lake opener at home tomorrow, but I went fishing today.

I'm in Indiana visiting my daughters and grandkids. Iris just turned two, so she, her mother Laura, and I went to the store today so she could pick out one of her presents from Grandpa--a fishing rig. I had been thinking of it, but wondered if Laura would think she was too young. So I was glad when Laura herself brought it up. Laura and I had some good fishing trips together when she was a girl.


Iris ignored the pink princess poles and went straight to a red and yellow Cars rig. Good choice.


After lunch we went outside and dug some worms. We were ready for Iris's very first fishing trip.


This is Lake Lemon. Laura called it a little lake but it's pretty good-sized. There were guys out in boats looking serious about their early season tactics.


We rigged up and cast out. I baited the hook and did the casting and Iris held the rod and learned how to reel in the bobber. She liked that part.


She knew from what we had told her that the bobber would move when a fish ate the worm so she kept a sharp eye on that bobber. But it didn't move.


Iris got a little bored after awhile, so Laura picked up the rod and cast out..and down goes the bobber. Laura hasn't lost her touch.


A largemouth bass, or what Laura once called a "loudmouth bass" when she was little. Iris was very impressed and excited, agreed that the fish was very pretty, but did not want to touch it. We put it back into the lake and watched it swim away.


We decided to take a walk along the lake shore, but before we left the bank I tried a few more casts. Nope. Laura outfished me again.


We wandered down to an overlook and Laura and Iris spent some time throwing rocks into the water.


Iris got crazy with the multiple launch.


But it was finally time to walk up that beautiful green hill and head for home.


I'll have some great fishing trips this season, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that none of them will top this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment