Pages

Friday, February 12, 2016

Fly Tying: More Rocky Ford Dries

I continue to tie, thinking of those Rocky Ford Rainbows. I continue to think about those Rocky Ford Rainbows, so I tie. That happy vicious circle.

As always, these are the recipes of the flies pictured. They often represent variations on standard patterns. 


Bear's Paw
Hook: dry fly, 1X long, #14
Thread; black
Body: peacock herl
Hackle: Grizzly

I saw this on a local fly tying show that was originally aired in 2009.
This is a simple tie that appeals to me. Its close resemblance to the
Renegade and the Griffith's Gnat is obvious, but it has a charm of its own.
No one seems to know where the name came from, though there are
many Bear's Paw or Bear Paw lakes and creeks in the west, so it could
have been named for a place. I also discovered that Taylor Williams,
the man given credit for inventing the Renegade in Wyoming back in the 30's,
 had a nickname: "Beartracks." Maybe there's a connection.



Humpy
Hook: dry fly, #14
Thread: black
Tail: natural deer hair
Wing: natural deer hair, upright and divided
Underbody: working thread over wing butts
Shellback: wing hair drawn forward over body
Hackle: grizzly

Ah, Humpies. I hope someday to learn how to tie them. I consistently
get the shellback/wing hair too long or too short. It's too long on this
example. But I really like the pattern, so I'll keep trying. On this version
I wanted a black underbody. The standard fly is yellow, though green
and red are common variations. I also used grizzly hackle
alone. The standard fly uses grizzly and brown.



Callibaetis

Hook: dry fly, 1X long, #14
Thread: black
Tail: grizzly hackle fibers
Body: Adams gray dubbing
Rib: 5X monofilament
Wing: white antron yarn
Hackle: grizzly

I've seen a few callibaetis hatching on my last two trips to Rocky Ford.
They were few and far between, but consistent. Mostly they attracted no
attention as they floated and fluttered on the surface just over the trout's heads.
But I did see one trout finally have a go at one--and miss. This is a
simple pattern that has been a go to in recent years. It floats high, it's easy to see,
and it's durable. I've had the Rocky Ford fish compete with each other
to see who can get to this fly first, but you have to be there on the right day.

No comments:

Post a Comment