Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tuesday Fishing Report: Flippers On, Flippers Off

Click on photos for full size image.
It was flippers on for another morning and early afternoon at the lake. I launched at the channel this time.
May is finally opening up like a reluctant bloom. The day was sunny and warm. I paddled across the channel to John's Cove.
It was breezy at first, but not windy. There were no rises or jumping fish that I could see, so I went to work with an indicator and some flies I had tied Monday afternoon, some more soft hackles and nymphs. The nymphs got no response. So I tried one of the soft hackles and caught this pretty little fish.
It wasn't long before the breeze began to work itself into a wind, and it blew steadily the rest of the day.
I considered leaving early--I'm way over my wind quota for this Spring--but then it shifted a few points to the north and allowed a calm area to form in the lee of this shoreline.
This is a great shoreline, and I have caught many very nice fish along here. Caddis tend to hatch heavily up there at the bend, and Lidia caught her 20 incher there on a Caddis pattern. I've also had some luck here early with nymphs and indicators. So I paddled over.
What a relief to get out of the wind. I simply basked in the warm sun for awhile, my mind adrift like a last year's leaf.
Some little trout began chasing midges, so I went back to work. I fished a long leader under the indicator, hoping to find some big boys laying low off the dropoff. I had tied the soft hackle back on after fishing some nymphs for awhile. I let it wind drift for awhile, then began moving the indicator a couple of feet to raise the fly and let it drop again.
This little guy fell for it.
Then it was flippers off and back to my other life...for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment