Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Saturday Fishing Report: Wind

Click on photos for full size image.
Well, I tried a few hours at the lake on Saturday. Late afternoon and evening. I'm not going to whine about it, but the wind was once again a factor.
It was a beautiful day, otherwise.
But, the wind.... It was a teasing wind, blowing hard, then sitting down long enough for the chop to clear and the fish to start jumping and dimpling the surface, and then standing up and blowing hard again. And it was from the north, and cold. When I got there at 5 PM the sun was warm, so I left my inner shell in the van. Bad idea. When the sun was gone, I got cold.
The loons are back, though. They give me joy, and swam all around me for awhile.
And two times along this stretch, when the lake was calm, just before the wind picked up again, I had my indicator dip as trout hit my Chironimid. Maybe "hit" is too strong a word. The takes seemed tentative, and I missed both of them, though I felt the hook scrape out of their mouths. Not what I'd call hot action, but action.
As evening settled in the wind came on stronger than ever and, to be honest, I got sick of it. So I paddled in.
I was thinking of trying to get out again tomorrow or the next day. Then I checked the weather and found this advisory:
HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPOKANE WA653 AM PDT SUN MAY 2 2010IDZ001-004-WAZ037-038-042-043-031400-NORTHERN PANHANDLE-CENTRAL PANHANDLE MOUNTAINS-NORTHEAST MOUNTAINS-OKANOGAN HIGHLANDS-EAST SLOPES NORTHERN CASCADES-OKANOGAN VALLEY-653 AM PDT SUN MAY 2 2010
THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF NORTH IDAHO...NORTH CENTRAL WASHINGTON AND NORTHEAST WASHINGTON..DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT BY LATE TONIGHT...WIND GUSTS OF 50-60 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER THE MOUNTAIN RIDGES IN WASHINGTON AND NORTH IDAHO..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY ON MONDAY...SUSTAINED WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS 45 MPH WILL BE COMMON IN THE MOUNTAINOUS AREAS OF EASTERN WASHINGTON AND NORTH IDAHO. EXPOSED RIDGE TOPS COULD EXPERIENCE WIND GUSTS OF 60 MPH OR MORE.
Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment